Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Lately I'm getting better / Wish I could stay sick with you

This is the first work-related post I've made since the "First day" post. Having checked Google Analytics, it's interesting to see what search terms lead people to my blog. Someone found the blog after having typed "prestwood professional" into Google - I can only wonder what they thought upon reading this :s. It's probably best to take this opportunity and say that any thoughts expressed within are purely my own and are not linked to any organisations etc etc.
Now the legalities are out of the way, we can get down to business, and the bone I want to pick concerning the health of my work colleagues (I love the phrase "work colleagues").

I've avoided posting about work for the above reason and the potential rant floodgate which once opened I would find very hard to close. First off, it's best to give a little background. The company is pretty small, there's actually only about a dozen of us, including part-timers, and the core is made up of 6(ish) support staff which I am one of.  It seems like people are coming down with colds and flu all the time.  These people are very poor immune systems, Simon for one has had this chest-infection type problem for as long as I can remember.  I always shudder when he makes this horrible throaty, regurgitating noise when he clears his throat - he really should get that looked at, seriously.

Now I'm pretty sure I've never had to call in sick and skip days, I had some problems with my teeth so I had to take a couple of afternoons off, that was pretty lame but necessary. The question is what is different about myself and seemingly everyone else on the support team. I wondered if it was my diet, but dismissed that straight away as whilst I've been trying to improve my diet, it's still pretty crappy when you break it down.
You could argue that it might because the job itself is not particularily active, a lot of sitting in front of computers all day, but it's the same for me too so it can't be that either.

I was ranting to my Nan about this one day and I think she nailed it. I am the only one that doesn't drive into work, therefore I walk a fair distance, although I've yet to plot it accurately on Google maps (or indeed any other map) but when I had a quick look at the aforementioned pr0 site, I approximate my walking to be about 3 miles a day. It can't be that simple I said, but on the face of it, that is the main obvious difference. So my inability to drive is both a blessing and a curse.

There's also the possibility that my co-workers (another great term) are quite wimpish when they become a little under the weather. Everyone seems quite lax and comfortable with taking time off. The silver lining is reading the "calling in sick" emails that get sent in - some of them are really hilarious, part of one I remember used the phrase "flu-like way".

Here's hoping it is never anything really serious or else I may have to start believing the sick notes...

0 comments: