Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Getting Slack (March)

This month I intend to make the obvious improvement/change and write these blog posts either before the start or at the very start of the month, not halfway through like this time.

I'm only half-joking with the above statement - I think it's bad that this is late but it has been a bit of a crazy start to March, so not many changes planned here. Just like one of the "downtime" 24 episodes, this month feels like it's time to reinforce and reflect on what's already past, and then make a proper push next time round.

Man, 3 months in and this "resolution" is falling apart - pretty lame, no?

This month kicked off with a bang, or more accurately an interview for yours truly. A promising position but the long and short of it is that I had to turn it down. I have gone on for far too long on how I'm not really happy in my current location/employment and well moving down to Buckinghamshire and knowing how easy I make friends by imposing myself on strangers, I foresaw myself feeling in a very similar position 6 months down the line. I spent the first week of March trying to weigh up the opportunity of doing work I really want to do (Programming, yes it's what I want to do...) versus being even further away from my family and the friends I see most often currently.
The whole experience took a lot out of me, but I am now starting to get on the job search again, plus after having a few chats with my boss, keeping him up to date with interview and offer etc, there may actually be a chance to do some programming at my current employment - we'll have to see how that pans out. In related news, I'm speaking with someone next week about starting a vb.net course, to do in my own time to help bolster the cv - as long as it doesn't prove too expensive I will go for it. I hear ya, if it gets me the job I want, then it's paid for itself surely? Well, I am working with a budget.

Speaking of budget, and the main change for this month is finally taking proper account of my spending. Over the last weekend, I worked on totalling all my regular expenses and intend to track my irregular expenses going forward. As long as I keep it up for a few months (continuing on for at least the medium-term future) I should be able to see where I'm spending too much and help get my finances in order. The Car loan I took out to buy, you'll won't believe, my car does make a fair dent against my wage - it will be cool when that's paid off.

I have been a little slack with my intended "read a book a month" aim, but I have cancelled my gamesTM subscription (again saving a bit of money) so that should clear my bedtime reading. I am working through World War Z, and will reset for this month, starting a new book in April.

Gym attendance has been really bad i.e. non-existent, but at least the days are getting longer and it is getting warmer so hopefully I'll start up before the month is out.

0 comments: