Monday, October 11, 2010

Cut to the end... So I'm moving out

Or it could be named "The tale of me being a coward in my home". It's sad to see that the previous two posts here were about my move to Bridgnorth with all the promise that went along with it, and now I am having to uproot again - not really what I want to do, but down to the jerk-of-a-neighbour that lives below me.

The first month or two were great. No problems with the neighbour and gorged myself on the world cup in HD, rent was really cheap, things were going well. But then the banging started.
To help you picture it, I live in a house that has been effectively converted into two flats, mine being the top flat. It's all a learning experience and know now to stay clear of houses that have been converted. We share a flat/ceiling and it's not like the brick that separates the houses to the left and right - it appears to be just wooden floorboards. Some creaky ones as well.

So it's understandable that sound may translate between floors but the thing that really peeves me is that this guy has not had the common decency to come to the door and have a chat about the noise. I think I could try and accommodate the guy but that being said, I have the TV to a minimum and rarely play any music at the computer any more. I was driving back from work this afternoon and had a good sing song to the music turned up and suddenly realised that I've not had the chance to do this at home.

Most advice from people has been to bang back, but I'd rather not escalate the situation - I'm trying to be the better man, although I'm slowly learning that isn't as rewarding as being lazy and having others take the fall. It's good job I have never banged back as a few weeks back it looked like the troll downstairs (geddit, cos he lives underneath... oh screw you) was taking to banging first thing in the morning in a clear attempt of waking me up. Well it worked twice (at least, I may have luckily slept through other attempts) and that is really too far. To be honest, showing me no respect and not speaking to me like an adult would be too far. A quick Google search reveals some horrifying statistic that a surprisingly high percentage of people have problem neighbours. Anyways, not to be caught out by morning banging, I now set my alarm to before he wakes up so there's no way he can wake me. With the floor/ceiling being as thin as it is I can hear him moving around in the morning.

The banging is terrible, but the fact I can hear door slams, the tap running etc means that even if this jerk was to hurry and sell his flat, I would still hear the person(s) downstairs so the move is a good idea. I really hate having to censor myself in my own home. I have on numerous times had to turn in for fear that if I stay up with the TV at the same volume then I may enrage the nobend to bang in the morning. I wouldn't risk having guests over - my family visited one Sunday and this guy was literally banging all afternoon. My Nan was getting flustered and started to bang her feet back. It at least proved I was being paranoid and that this guy was flipping out with a broom, or something, at the mildest of noise.

My landlady has been very understanding and has said that they can have a word with him, but to be honest there's not a lot she can really do to control this guy, and it seems the sort to be spurred on, especially if he knew he was getting to me. I don't feel like attempting to speak to him, I can't see any way that this will be resolved. Apparently this guy has an attitude problem and shouted at the last tenants who accidentally dropped something in the kitchen - I mean WTF?! right?

Anyways, looking to positives it's time to get away so I am moving and think I have somewhere sorted and will look to hand in the application very soon. The landlady did say they were looking to buy this guy's flat but I see little, if any gain from being stubborn and trying to wait it out - I just want to get away and fast.
My first choice was a similar layout to my place in Kidderminster although a little bigger, carpeted living room, shower in the bathroom this time, plus radiators. Unfortunately that one went really quickly and apparently these properties don't hang around long so I'm getting in there quick to secure this 2nd floor flat I went to see. An actual building built for flats and having been shown round by the previous tenant who confirmed that they could not hear the downstairs people, nor do they have any complaints of noise on their part. Also the place has larger rooms than here, 2 parking spaces, and no garden which suits me perfectly.

So that'll be going down in the next few weeks. In the meantime I need to start planning horrible things I can do to piss off the guy downstairs. I'm thinking anything which is near impossible to attribute to me, preferably a slow burn. I can't get beyond rotten food left somewhere. I'm also thinking of making a load of noise here and then driving off to the new place during the time of limbo when I will have keys to 2 places. I really want to teach this guy for showing me no respect.

0 comments: