Wednesday, May 27, 2009

I'm leaving on a Jetplane...

Continuing my posts detailing my trip to the US further and looking back on my Trans-Atlantic flights, a really big deal for me. I've only been on a plane once before (twice if you count coming back :D).

Unfortunately I didn't take any pix, the authorities may have thought me a terrorist after pointing my camera at airplanes and security personnel was my paranoia. Anyways, to brighten up the site enjoy another *random* snap taken on my travels.

Note: It's a pretty obvious sign that I play video games too much that I thought of the Dead Air finale from Left 4 Dead when getting on the plane...



It's a little weird that I was nervous for the flight. Strange, as I've been on a plane before, and apart from takeoff and landing, the majority of the trip feels like being in a bubble removed from the World. There is an appeal to the window seat, but there isn't much to see except blue and impressively pure light once you're above the clouds. The best part, in my opinion, has to be the takeoff, all the noise and violence as the plane handles the contours of the runway, and then replaced with a simple (not to mention constant) hum as I watch cars, buildings and streets get smaller until the plane passes through the clouds and then attention reverts to the cabin, in-flight entertainment and food.

Both flights had a monitor in the back of the seat in front and the flight out to Chicago, in particular had a "flight status" channel if you will. It would transition through a number of screens, parting such information as expected arrival time, current altitude and speed (those numbers are pretty mind-blowing, they are so large it's difficult to get a reference) and a map charting our progress using a red line much like the Indiana Jones films.

In terms of in-flight entertainment, I watched Yes Man on the way out (look out for an upcoming On the Box post) and Milk on the way back. It was a shame that during my outward flight the guy in front of me had his seat reclined to the max, which meant that I too had to recline, although I was unsure how, so during the movie, I sunk into my seat as the monitors were little LCD affairs which offer crap visibility when viewed from an angle. I also caught up with some podcasts and also chilled out to music - I did not read the large Bill Bryson hardback I packed (as I couldn't find any other books in my house to read).

Due to the length of the flight, we got not 1, but 2 meals. Unfortunately, gluten-free seems to translate to pineapple it seems. It's only a shame as I'm not a fan of pineapple but I got given some for 3 of the 4 meals - a little messed up. Other than that it was fine and edible enough.
The stewards seemed to have a problem understanding me, which considering how multilingual they surely must need to be, is either troubling for them, or a kick in my confidence sac. On the flight out, the one steward couldn't understand me saying "can I get an extra cup?" as they gave you a portion of orange juice in a tub of all things. The other time on the way back, the steward was asking if I had finished with my meal:

Steward: Are you done?
Me: No, I'm not done
(steward goes to take my tray)
Me: Oh no, sorry, I'm not done
Steward: Sorry, are you done or are you not done?
Me: I'm not done, I'm not done
Steward: Oh ok, you're done (goes for tray again)
Me: No I'm not done!

Plus, TV + Film has lied to me, all the attractive stewardesses must have been kept up in first class, which you must walk past to get to economy - it's nice for everyone to see what for most people (almost certainly, myself included) will be forever unattainable.

I had a huge wait for my flight back whilst at Chicago, and as it turned out I botched the online check-in. My fortunes did turn round, and the lady at the BA check-in kiosk obviously took a shine to me and upgraded me to premium economy. Not much of a score, but it meant slightly larger seats, believe there were two less in each row.
I also got to sit next to this french (guessing from her accent the few times she spoke) girl - perhaps a little too young for me but very cute all the same. I was very impressed at her (and others around me) ability to fall to sleep so readily, I unfortunately could not reach the same state. I'm a pretty good sleeper, once I'm gone, it's quite difficult to bother me, but actually getting to sleep is harder. I get a bout of insomnia, I knew that I needed sleep and hell, I was tired enough, but the hum, the footsteps of stewards and my numb ass prevented me from falling asleep. It was a classic case where I was aware of every hair on my foot, sensitive to any change in air flow and temperature, and absolutely no position was comfortable. And all that jet lag destroyed me for the following 2 days as I caught up with sleep.
It was at that time while I looked around at all those napping that I felt a little sorry for myself, I got wishing for a close companion of which we can both rest against - and it's pretty forward to try it with a stranger. To feel so completely comfortable with another human being to happily doze on someone else's shoulder, even more so to be content, I would love me some of that. Speaking of which, travelling on a plane and it is impossible (for guys at least), about joining the mile high club.

On the flight to Chicago which was in the middle of the day, there was a queue for the toilet, so the next person may be surprised when there's more than one person in there. Plus those toilets of which I speak of are at the front of economy, so all those observant would notice two people go in at the same time. There were toilets at the very back of the plane, I think those would be the way to go.
Once that initial milestone is overcome, that's not that much room inside, plus you have to watch out for the Call Steward button. I also can't imagine that the door, or any of the walls are particularly sound proof, although you probably wouldn't care. After the deed is done, there's the returning to the seats, so that needs co-ordination. I imagine the first person in should be the first person to go back to the seat - what is known as a queue or FIFO system (First in First Out) - but hey, I'm sure you get better with practice.

I may be over thinking this, but it's only the important subjects we address here.

Anyways, trans-Atlantic flights are pretty awesome, my ass went numb about half way through and I didn't get feeling back until my ears stopped popping. Arriving back at Heathrow, a man grumbled when we had to go on a small bus ride to get back to the terminal - for Christ's sake, you have just crossed the Atlantic, do you have any comprehension of the distance travelled? Do you have any appreciation for the technology and design that has made such a feat possible, and commonplace? Planes FTW!

0 comments: