Tuesday, May 07, 2013

Unnerving smile

Not quite the work post that I hinted at earlier, or you were screaming for, but we're getting closer.
Now I don't strictly work in a customer-facing job so it's not something I have to worry about, but there are people at my workplace, the company HQ, that do speak with outsiders, with tenants (I work for a housing association). I may have mentioned this before when I went into the bank to get a loan and after sitting down with a lady to do the application, fill out all the paperwork, I went to leave and we shook hands and she said "It was nice to meet you" and I was literally disarmed, I stopped in my tracks and didn't know how to react (although not unusual for me).

So to pick up on the post's title and to sum it up simply in a way that hopefully leads to more questions. The new receptionist at work creeps me out.
As alluded to above, if you work in a customer facing job, then you are presenting your best face, or rather, the most pleasing face to the customer. You try to be polite, friendly, warm, patient, understanding, the list goes on.
So the new receptionist is smiley. Okay, that's an understatement, she is incredibly smiley, my boss has joked that you are blinded by her smile when you walk in. Unfortunately, she appears to only have two settings, no smile and eye-melting super smile. Now don't get me wrong, I have no problem with a smile - in fact they are probably my #1 expression (I haven't really thought about this). The issue is she is guilty of the fake smile, possibly made more obvious by the intensity of her smile. You know the one, the smile with the mouth but not with the eyes. An interesting test is to take a photo of someone smiling and cover the mouth and see if they still look like they're smiling.

Now this may sound like I'm obsessive and I probably am. Is she pretty you ask? Why yes she is but I'm not sure what that has to do with anything :P
In a small way, I dread the few steps from outside to beyond the reception desk, where she will throw her fake smile at me and say "Hi!" and ask me how I'm doing. Maybe the thing I find frustrating is that the fake smile tells me that she doesn't actually care about the exchange - it's merely required because she's in customer-facing mode. See, I don't trust the interaction so I feel weird taking part in it. I am a permanent employee and the other receptionists don't really make a big song and dance about it. Often, I will walk past without saying anything. That may sound rude, but I've said goodbye when leaving and not got a response back and it's a breakdown in this social handshake which takes a little to build back up to. Some people seem OK with not saying anything, I can appreciate that.

I guess this is just me being uncomfortable around a pretty lady but I would just like her to be more genuine, or more ignorant - it's not like I can turn around and say "Hey, drop the smiley act please!" Especially not after all the "How are you?", "I'm fine, how are you?", "I'm fine" exchanges. I guess I get stuck in my head sometimes...

Here's thinking of something different to say but inevitably will fall back into old ways.


0 comments: