Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Don't forget to tip your geek... [Dated 24/04/07]

Hey, a short post this time as I have been shopping for a card for my Mum's upcoming birthday. Anyways enough of that...

For some reason I got thinking about how I introduce myself to other people, and how people define themselves. I like to think there are two quite, well almost distinct halves to me, them being Jonathan and Jonny, everyone's friend lol.


Not to dig up the Becca thing again, but I think she is actually the only girl I've met who has done a different reaction to me telling me that I do/did Computer Science. Generally girls I meet who ask what I was doing for a degree, and I reply Computer Science, and they would all go, "oh" and go colder to what was before a warming prospect of friendship etc. Becca actually replied "Oh, like what Rob does", when I told her after she asked many a year back, but I dunno, maybe girls hearing that draw the same conclusion that I must be a geek, and that is a bad thing. That saying I am a geek, but I don't like the way it is considered a negative thing.

Geeks are responsible for any piece of technology that we use today, and jock types/geek haters should actually realise that and be thankful for the time these "uncool" people dedicated to exploring what was possible. The internet, the vessel you use to send you horrible, gut-inducing chain mails, "send this to 8 people NOW, or you maye die! etc" to all your stupid friends, was created by University boffins trying to get two seperate computers to send messages to each other.

I remember back when I was an avid user of StumbleUpon, (great addon for FF if you use it, get it you will not be sorry), I found a few articles and the like where it was saying the benefits of dating a geek, and I quite excited about that, but that train of thought has not broke through into the mainstream just yet.
Thanks to watching the bizarre Japanorama, there is a buzzing sub-culture of Otakus,or geeks/nerds, that are finally being appreciated, and heck it sounds very tempting to be part of that movement. Also the word Moe (pronounced Mo-ay) is rather smart. The Japanese have given a word to a pleasure moan if you like - it was something I immediately wanted to force into my everyday vocabulary.


Speaking more broadly, I often get frustrated at how much imprortance is placed on money, and how effectively you need it to do anything basically. I am quite sick of the life I'm living right now, I'd love to uproot myself, move somewhere else, do something new and exciting, but that all takes money which I don't have to a degree.

Moving back to something lighter, I've started rewatching the entirity of the Shield in preparation for the new season, season 6. There's a few shows that have started new seasons, Scrubs, Lost, Prison Break, 24, and I'm a little behind so I need to sort out some kind of schedule so I can watch them all, rather than blitzing them seperately. Oh my I forgot, the Stargate shows as well, oh my, that's 7 seperate shows, and I might even wanna watch some more Drew carey Show, as watched season 1, and it's not too bad, although Drew is a weird frontman for a show.


Time to wrap up, day off tomorrow, so some overdue tidying in store, both physically in my room, and files on the PC, so that should be fun. As someone said at work yesterday, "days off aren't really days off, cos then I'm just busy at home". Once again reminding me how little I want to do the whole 9-5 thing, just to chase some money to buy a few things to make me happy, and then savior the few days off I get, which would then be spent sorting out personal life. Man I can't wait to join the Rat Race, seeya there!

Take it easy
J-Man.

2 comments:

Gorilla Bananas said...

Good luck. No reason why you shouldn't be the first geek stud if you put your mind to it.

Unknown said...

Wow, my first post by a none real life friend, and it's by a monkey! Although you're probs gonna bite my hand, or throw faeces at me for getting that anatomically incorrect.