Friday, July 20, 2007

A New Chapter...

Hey peeps, it's been quite neglectful of me not to mention what is in fact a new chapter in my life about to begin.  That being that as of next week, I would have started on a training scheme which should (here's hoping, although the family is that tiny bit more) lead to a nice shiny job in computing.

The training scheme is being put on by JBC Computers which as it happens are based in Coventry - it really is a small world, and if I'm a little honest was a tiny added motivation in going for the scheme.  The scheme itself is training myself to have the skills to fill a desktop/network support technician role.  So that goes right from the hardware of PCs, networks, servers etc, right through to the software aspects like configuration and security issues.

Now, I am cautiously optimistic about the scheme, the main worry is my financial situation which is looking in pretty dire form right now.  Moving on from that I am really looking forward to it, and the new skills and experiences the whole thing will bring.  I am a little apprehensive that it is not software development training, as that area was what I did (still do) want to go into.  But saying that, how much actual programming have I done in the last year since graduating? The answer is very little, and pretty much all of that has been web programming i.e. HTML, CSS, PHP etc

After going to the open day in which they practically offered me a place, I didn't feel I had to earn it, or convince them - which is a good thing.  The place I have been offered is a sponsored place, and thus all of the fees for the course are void - which is also a good thing, as it would cost upwards and beyond of £5000 depending on which modules are done :S.  That being said they do offer discounted accommodation which I have taken them up on, as well a commute from Wem every day is just silly, and probably not even possible, especially in the morning.  Yeah, so living in their accommodation, which is very much like the place I stayed in back in Uni - the good ol' Red Faction house.  We got shown one house that the company owns, and that was literally across the road from their main premises, so making it in on time shouldn't be too tricky.

Also including in the scheme, which is very enticing for myself, is the grooming of ones self in preparation for interviews and then job beyond.  Cleaning up my CV, and those crucial interview skills are something I feel that I could benefit a lot from, so I'm hoping that aspect works out especially.  The whole course is over in about 7 weeks, with the option for the company to keep tabs on you as you/I progress in my new found job and continuing the learning process with more exams and the qualifications that go along with it.  Although it's probs unlikely, but if I went for every exam they offer, I think I would gain something like at least 7 qualifications in various subjects like A+ networks, Windows Server 2003 etc.

To repeat my newly set facebook status, if you do see me in Coventry, then do not hesitate to tell me how tubular my tie is.  That being because, they are pretty strict when it comes to dress code, so I'm gonna have to look pretty smartish a lot of the time, but that's no real problem, it may sound a bit weird but I actually am more uncomfortable in jeans now than I am in my work trousers, mmm.

 

Here's waiting for his transport to the real world. hope the movie is a good un...

0 comments: