Tuesday, July 31, 2007

On my way... (backdated 23/07/07)

Hey, lack of book and any other means of viable of entertainment has lead me to dish out the laptop and blog blog blog like some obsessed person, No but seriously, thought I'd share how quietly nervous I am, about the whole training scheme. As I said to Carl last night, I'm getting all stressed about the packing and living somewhere completely new, and there's also all this learning I'm expected to do yikes! (note to self: bring back the word yikes!)

As mentioned before, these people like to run a presentable ship, so I've been stressing about making sure I've got enough formal shirts, trousers etc, but I also have to be paying attention, learning etc, let's just say I would never have made the previous start to the course 4 weeks ago.

I am currently sitting on a train in Shrewsbury, waiting for it to leave for Birmingham New Street.  Thanks to the recent onslaught of rain, plus what seems like regular "random" engineering works that occur on Sunday, it means that I will be taking a bus from Brum to Coventry.  Now as you all know folks (also bring back folks...) the one thing I can't stand more than riding trains is riding buses.  To make matters worse I am with suitcase, so the whole thing is gonna be one stressful ordeal.  This truly is the calm of the storm, thanks to the infrequent trains that run on a Sunday, I've had to spend just over an hour doing nothing on the platform.  Looking at trains and scaring pigeons away gets old really quick.

I'm not sure if it's an omen or not but I forgot to pack my "lunch".  Yep, a snack and my precious final can of pepsi which was carefully put aside ready for this trip and I went and bloody well forgot it.  I was getting a little worried that I may forget something pretty darn important.  I only remembered to pack towels just before I was gonna go out for a quiet farewell drink.  Yep, they stressed it in amongst the bold type of the rules of my stay that they would not be providing towels.  I think that's where a lot of this nervousness(ness) comes from, the fact that the open day went by so fast, and a lot of details are still unknown to me.

One important detail is how many days of the week does the training consume.  Ideally I would like it to be Mon - Fri, but Saturday is considered a working day so can't help but feel that perhaps there is no, or less, structure to that day.  The smart dress, shirt + tie is mandatory on weekdays, but on Saturday, they'll let us get away with no tie - oh those rebels!

Another area of concern, probably the least largest, is the accommodation they're gonna set me(us) in.  Yep, I will be living in shared accommodation with some other people on the course.  It's not hugely important that I get on with these guys (they will be guys...) but the whole experience would probably be more enjoyable if I did.  Here's hoping that a lot of other facilities are provided for us, i.e. cutlery and cooking equipment as I decided to risk not packing any, plus no more stuff would fit in :s.  As they state, fresh linens are provided every day, which is quite smart, not unlike halls at Uni, and I assume this will be done when we're all out learning hard LOL.  Although this is great, I hope this service extends to keeping the communal area tidy and of course the providing of toilet paper.  One of the few downsides of the Red Faction house was how messy the shared areas got and it was always fun waking up and discovering there was no toilet paper just when you needed it, which spurred an impromptu visit to "the shop" to get some. Those were the days...

Anyways, to be more positive, this training course will give me the skills, both those specific to jobs and improved interview skills, which should guarantee myself a job at the end of it.  The course itself lasts just 7 weeks, so by the time I truly get used to the new digs and the routine of the day, it will be soon over.  So yeah, the ultimate goal to come out of this is a nice new shiny job that pays well enough for me to move out, comfortably live on, and start getting on with my life, like learning how to drive etc, so we'll see.

0 comments: