Friday, June 27, 2008

#4 Escapism

In my head, the idea for this post was more about all the different methods I use to "escape" my life, Master of Escapism was the original post title, although I might resurrect that post in some form, thanks to some recent revelations.
Anyways, I'm knocking out another Random Playlist, as I find that music is indeed my greatest tool of escapism, and also to help boost the number of RP posts, erm.
It's quite strange to think about it really, and I'm sure I can't be the only one, but I do feel a little naked if I'm walking out and about on my own without my music. Fortunately, the shame passes quickly, but it's true to state that my mp3 player ranks with wallet, keys and phone on the list of essentials that I cannot leave the house without (Actually that's the complete list! :S). I actually joke to myself that my mp3 player is actually a "life support" machine, as if you ever see me out and about, there's a very good chance I'm wired up to it, relying on it to continue living.

It might come as a shock to you all, but the sounds of the real world, on the whole, suck. And that goes double for the sounds you encounter on the daily commute. Cars, bikes, buses that drive past, shop alarms, hell other people, they are all noises which I want very badly to block out with my lurvely moosic.

but I do feel a little naked if I'm walking out and about on my own without my music

It's crazy that when the music disappears, whether it be through forgetfulness or a failed battery, I become hyper-aware of all the sounds of the real world, where before I've been happily oblivious. People chattering on the train, or even worse young children/babies, man they go right through me, as my Grandad would say.

The revelation came whilst I was doing some treadmill at the gym, and I looked down at my small player which I take to the gym (my iRiver is simply too bulky for it) and I was thinking how much my mood can be elevated through the right songs - how that a mood is elevated perhaps more than some (read: a lot of) people that I come into regular contact with.

The classic question: If you were stranded on a desert island, what 10 CDs would you limit yourself to taking. Well, screw that, I'll just take a mp3 player with a couple hundred gigs of music on and I'll be sorted. As an added bonus, the mp3 player would take up less space!


0 comments: