Saturday, January 07, 2012

I *heart* my Kindle

Reading is something I used to do a lot. I would always read before going to bed, but I guess when I got a TV for my own room and then after moving out whether that be at University, or post-Uni and all the media that the Internet can offer, meant I was more likely watching some right before bed, and often in bed.
Now Amazon's Kindle had been out for a while and I had been tempted by it for a while. The year previously I had made an effort to read more books and had bought some paperbacks but having space-saving digital e-books that can often be cheaper than their paper based siblings was very attractive. I went for it late Jan/early Feb last year and have not looked back!
There are those which say it's not the same as holding a real book. Well yes, they are right, there aren't physical pages to turn but the counter to that is that instead it's super thin, lightweight and with the e-ink, there's no glare on your eyes and it's effectively like reading off paper.
I do all my reading in bed pretty much and sometimes I will read whilst lying on my side. With a book I have to crane my neck to read both pages, a little awkward especially if the book is large. With the Kindle, this is not a problem.
Reading the Game of Thrones books in particular has meant I've made good use of the dictionary function. I simply hover over an archaic word and get an immediate definition - it's fun to learn!
Battery life is also very good, page turning is very fast and it can even display web pages and play mp3s if you so desire.
It's awesome and as in the title, I <3 my Kindle, plus they've recently released a new version which drops the keyboard for an even smaller form factor which is dirt cheap. If you like reading, just go and buy one. I didn't go for the 3G one as I'm happy to do any purchases or transfers off my Mac over the Wi-Fi. If you travel a lot then the 3G connection sounds good for purchasing books whilst out and about.
Click for a list of books that I've read since getting my Kindle.

In no particular order: (only because I can't remember the chronological order :S)

The Colour of Magic - Terry Pratchett
The Light Fantastic - Terry Pratchett
Equal Rites - Terry Pratchett
Mort - Terry Pratchett
Harry Potter and the Philiosopher's Stone - J.K. Rowling
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets - J.K. Rowling
The Primal Blueprint - Mark Sisson (not on my kindle)
A Game of Thrones - George R. R. Martin
A Clash of Kings - George R. R. Martin
A Storm of Swords (part 1 and 2, so that counts as two books :p) - George R. R. Martin
The 4 Hour Body (parts of it) - Tim Ferriss
In A Sunburned Country - Bill Bryson
The Night Watch - Sergei Lukyanenko (not on the Kindle)

and I am now currently reading Soucery - Terry Pratchett (on the Kindle) and re-reading The Primal Blueprint - Mark Sission (not on Kindle)

0 comments: