Thursday, January 05, 2012

The Prescription Challenge

For those not in the know I am a coeliac - gluten intolerance to not use the medical term. So that means I can't have regular bread, flour or any dough based foods (e.g. pizza) etc. Getting special "gluten-free" products is available to me on prescription which I have got in the past, and still can in the future which brings me to the challenge.
When I was first diagnosed I was still at school so I got my prescriptions for free on the NHS. That extended to age 18 I believe as I carried on with further education but following that I would have to pay. Now I was getting the prescription of bread, bread rolls, crackers, pasta etc on a pretty regular basis so it made sense for me to get what they call a pre-payment prescription certificate - pay so much up front, and get as many prescriptions for the period.
Now that I'm eating a lot less (if any) of the gluten-free bread products, I'm throwing down the gauntlet - can I go without the certificate and try and save a bit of money?


So, I believe the Prepayment Prescription certificate costs something around £110 for a year , maybe a little less. Now before I decided not to renew I enquired about the regular cost of getting my prescription. I didn't get an ultimate answer but I believe it's around £7.40 per item so if I opt for the bread loaves and the bread rolls - the usual - then we're looking at £15 a pop.
With the power of a bit of Maths, it means that if I get a prescription 7 times of less over a year, then it will actually work out cheaper!
My old certificate expired at the end of November and here we are in the first week of January and I've not ordered a single prescription. I ordered one just before it expired so I could give some of it to my family to freeze and then thaw out for when I visit. As mentioned previously on the blog, I'm trying to adopt a primal diet and a big part of that is avoiding grains. Obviously having the gluten intolerance means I'm not living off pizzas and sandwiches but I believe that the gluten free alternatives can't be any better, especially bearing in mind the number of ingredients that are contained within - yum! A simple hack for starting any kind of new diet I've found is to simply avoid keeping the "forbidden" foods out of the house. If you don't buy them in, then you won't crack and give in.

My Nan likes to bake me quiche and while I did put in an order for the flour there hopefully should be enough to last her a long time. I say this is a challenge but I think it will be rather easy, we'll see how it goes but I actually don't foresee any problems. Just letting the Interwebs know what's going on.

0 comments: