Monday, January 23, 2012

Late Lunch

I've been trying something new and have started eating my evening meal much later (around about 9pm). I have been trying to save some money and have buying the 3 for £10 gammon from Sainsburys. Yes I know, it's probably not the best thing I could be eating but it's cheap and fills a hole. I'm still recovering from Christmas fallout plus badly timed expenses such as the cost of a crown on my tooth, an upcoming eye test which will no doubt lead to new glasses being purchased. There's also me being a little silly and getting the new iPhone 4S - that one's on me but hey my old 3GS was really beat up and the home button was not consistently working, see I can rationalise it away. I was noticing that when I was eating straight after getting in from work I would end up getting peckish before I went to bed, eating far too much cheese etc and then feeling bad for having a weak spirit. So that's the main motivation of eating later.

As a desired by-product of eating later, I'm trying to spend the 2-3 hours from getting in from work to eating being productive as is one of my new year's resolutions. This has meant that I've got back into my online programming course that I neglected for long (embarrassingly long) periods of last year. In less than 2 weeks I've effectively coded the final assignment and am getting back to the previous assignment which I hit a roadblock a long time and left.
I'm also putting aside at least one night in the week to write on my blog(s) like now! I aim to write a number of posts and then schedule them across the next week or so. Nothing I write is truly that topical so it doesn't matter if there's a 4 day lag from when I wrote something to when it appears on the Internet. So if I get inspiration for a post I can choose to take a night away from the programming and get the idea down on paper, so to speak.

The above usually takes me up to about half 7, 8pm so that's when I go out for a walk. I take a 40-50min walk doing a circuit round the streets of Bridgnorth usually clocking in around 3 miles. My good friend Rob has become infatuated with the Appalachian Trail - the longest trail in the US I believe and he has (hopefully not so serious) designs on us walking in a few years time - a feat that takes good hikers approximately 6 months. Even if that never happens, walking is very good for you and primal for those interested. I usually pick a route that has a gradient and good ol' hilly Bridgnorth does not disappoint in that respect.

I think it's been going well so far (and even longer by the time this post appears) and I'm pleased at how productive I've managed to be. I have of course let myself have the odd day off from this routine, usually round the weekend but this is more recharging the batteries...

0 comments: