Friday, January 20, 2012

Smooth move

In my continuing quest to eat healthier and more primal, I finally pulled the trigger and got myself a smoothie maker machine.
The aim is to get myself eating more fruit, particularly those that are considered more primal. These fruit are generally berries and not the high-sugar citrus fruits.

Yeah, so I want to eat more strawberries, blueberries etc but I'm not a huge fan of the texture. Now that would probably go away with time but it's difficult to get into new habits if the journey isn't very enjoyable.
The solution (at least for me) is to make a smoothie containing these desirable fruits. So I'm now in the process of working on a good recipe(s). Currently I can't be bothered with taking exact measurements - I don't have a beaker etc to easily measure 200ml of apple juice or scales to weigh 80g of raspberries so right now we're just throwing stuff together to see what works. Maybe I'll have to get to that point but for now we'll see how it goes - would ideally not want to make further purchases.
I'm taking inspiration from the awesome Innocent smoothies that give a breakdown of their ingredients on the side of their cartons. I've learnt pretty quickly that banana is a good base to get a thick smoothie - my first effort was sans banana and it was more bitty juice.

The ultimate aim is to get down some tasty smoothie recipes with which I will make smoothies to have for lunch at work. Personally I find it the hardest to stick to a primal diet if I'm away from home where I can't control ingredients, hobs to cook with etc. Right now, I feel that my lunch could be improved to make another step to a balanced diet. If I have a smoothie for lunch every day then it's going to be very easy to hit the recommended 5 servings of fruit and veg a day.
I welcome any recipe suggestions; I'm doing some Internet searching and trying some experimentation, hell if I arrive at a recipe that works for me I'll probably post it here.

0 comments: