Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Insert Coin #7
GTA4 Initial Impressions

So it's been about a week since GTA4 has been released so it seemed appropriate to give some initial impressions whilst still keeping away from any spoilers for those who have still haven't played it. As I read via Digg, there was an article "are you a hardcore gamer?", the last point being that you can get by without getting GTA4 on release date. I got mine on release but had to wait till after work to fire it up - what an inconvenience.
Anyways, I've played for a little bit most evenings, the gym has called to see if I'm still alive (I will be going this week), and the last time I checked the stats I was approx 20% the way through, which is pretty crazy thinking about it.

So what are my thoughts on the game. These are just my first impressions effectively, there is so much to explore and do in the game, not to mention all the clever nuances which I can spend whole weeks without no doubt.
The game exhibits a swagger which we've come to expect from a GTA game. The cut scenes are all delivered in a slick manner and Niko's accent has already got me imitating a little, or should I say lee-tle har har.
They've built in the idea of a mobile phone to handle contacts and being notified about newly unlocked missions - it's quite smart without being as HUD reducing as was claimed a fair while before the game was released. Speaking of HUD, the option of adding a GPS route onto your map is something pretty cool and if you drive an upmarket 4x4 (it's the only one I've noticed in it so far), you'll get the directions spoken to you. Again, a nice little touch. To be honest there are no big surprises in terms of gameplay. What Rockstar have done this time has simply refined the GTA experience, it's more of the same, only that little bit better. The missions still hold true to the templates of old - drive somewhere, kill a guy, escape the police and make it back to safety etc etc

Side activities have been added in the game, the idea of building relationships is something the developers want to stress. So that will involve going out to dinner or a comedy club with friends, going to play darts and pool offer up mini games. It's something quite smart and will appeal to the casual gamer. Personally I've given the mini games a go and it'll probably be some time before I revisit them. What can I say? I have unsurprisingly harvested them of achievements so there's no need to rush back in my mind.

The combat system has had an overhaul, so targeting is much easier, your own health has been incorporated as the border of the map and your target's health appears as a ring on the reticule so it's all pretty slick. That being said, hand-to-hand can feel a little clumsy still and timing of dodges are still something of a black art to me, I failed that tutorial mission so many times cos I lost too much health trying to dodge swings.

Graphically I am perhaps a little disappointed, especially when looking back at the series of trailers which were released which really wet my appetite. The game also features the distant soft focus and grainy shadows much like Mass Effect, I can't decide if it's a work of art and genius or to excuse mediocre draw distance. I will say that driving over one of the bridges and seeing a distant 747-type plane is pretty awesome.

You can't throw in two cents without saying something about the radio stations available in the game. I have to say they are not unmissable, I think they got it just right for Vice City and have been trying to emulate that ever since. That being said there are radio stations for everyone, personally I usually throw on Liberty Rock, or WTTT, which is a little like KChat. The theme music used in the GTA trailers is on the Journey station and that's pretty cool so have to check out the actual music for that.

At the weekend, I decided to forego the single player campaign and brave the multiplayer. What can I say, again it's premature to say this as I have only checked out a few game modes, but it could be one of the best multiplayer experiences when it peaks. I've given the Crooks and Robbers gamemode a go and that was a lot of fun, but I have to say I'm addicted to GTA Race. Essentially it take the basic form of a race but then throw in driveby-stylee shooting at each other, plus the fact you can simply get out of the car and try and take other people out and ignore trying to win the race and you have a winning formula right there.
I don't think I've laughed so hard at a video game in so long, I can watch some guy's player model got knocked down by a scooter and it will never get old, I promise you.

These are just my initial impressions, a lot more time will have to be invested into both the single player and multiplayer to give a true review of GTA4.

0 comments: