Friday, May 09, 2008

Podcast Review #2
Jonathan Ross

Continuing on my blog quest to highlight some of the great (and not so great) podcasts that I've checked out. Please take note of the Jonathan Ross podcast.
Now technically this isn't a podcast in the truest sense, it is actual just an cut-down version of his radio show on Radio 2 on Saturday mornings. Now this personally is great for me. I've been a fan of his talk show on BBC1 on Friday evenings since it came out, and always wanted to check out his radio show, but truth be told I'm not really much of a radio fan.

Now this podcast is only really for those who are already fans of Jonathan Ross, I can understand if some people are put off by his brash, vulgar and often sex-oriented humour. Myself I think it's great, cannot get enough of it. The best interviews he does are with people that are not afraid to poke fun at themselves, and often Jonathan Ross will overstep the line in terms of acceptable questioning. Now, the talk show concentrated on the interviews with his guests, it was a talk show after all, but he also did do small features, often a new product that has come out or a personal story from the previous week. The radio show itself has a fairer balance against the interviews so again I'm all in favour of that. From what I can tell, it is simply the music from the radio show which has been cut out and the rest has been left to form the podcast. This is really smart as I would not want to listen to music that doesn't interest me (most likely) just to reach some of the banter. Instead the podcast takes all the good bits from the radio show and concentrates it into a single offering. I imagine the Chris Moles podcast to be in a similar vein.

On the surface there isn't a lot to the show, a fair bit of banter between Ross and his co-host (whose name I forget), but thankfully his co-host doesn't talk that much. The other part of the show are the interviews with his guests and even though I'm unsure of who they are all the time, it still proves entertaining. I guess that's the crucial thing, it has to be entertaining, and in my opinion, Jonathan Ross delivers every week, I almost always find his anecdotes hilarious, warming, or the combination of the two.

The podcast itself clocks in at around 40mins so it's the perfect companion for a commute, you just have to make sure you're ok with seemingly bursting into laughter in public places. I wholeheartedly recommend it, Jonathan Ross never touches on potentially controversial subjects, it's all kept quite light and jovial. Go Check it out!

0 comments: