Friday, May 02, 2008

One step closer to the Podosphere...

I am quite excited that progress into launching a podcast is now a small step closer. During a brief (very brief) brainstomring session into potential names for what will become my second podcast, a colloboration with my good friend Wilson, think of it as The Corner, Mark II - For those uninitiated, The Corner was the radio show we had back on the student radio station. Anyways, there's still a lot more thought and/or work to go into that one.
Back on topic and I am proud to announce that the rather obvious name of my personal podcast was struck upon during the above session. My podcast will indeed take the moniker of "Your New Favourite Podcast" - pretty hot.
The small step is the step up in research and preperation for putting together a podcast. I've been checking out podcasts about podcasting (how beautifully meta...), also reading into the hardware setup required to record, the other side of the coin being the software needed to put together a podcast. Now where the software is concerned, Audacity seems to be a well-regarded tool. It's rather good in that it is indeed free, but also has the power to edit recordings, mix down multiple tracks, and output the final product to mp3. Another alternative is Garage Band, but I'll need to get more upto speed with my Mac Mini, but at least there are options.
I have also ordered a headset which I can wear to enter podcasting mode. I was reluctant to spend a great deal on something which might not prove that fruitful so we'll have to see what the results will end up like. From what I've read there is a clearly defined limit on what quality can be achieved with a mic with a 3.5mm jack, but I think it will have to do for now, and possibly further down the road I'll look into more expensive purchases.

I've also been checking out possible hosting options, again I don't really want to spend a lot (if any if I can get away with it). I'm not expected a huge listener count at first, but it would be rather cool for that to grow and grow, I can only hope. I took a quick look and what is required to submit the podcast to the itunes music store, there's really not that much to it, so that should be fairly painless.

I've also been thinking of potential sources for music to use to bookend the podcast with the usual blurb, "You're listening to 'Your New Favourite Podcast'...". There are a few candidates, although I need to decide on one, think there goes an afternoon while I tinker in Audacity. Of course, any music I do use, I will obviously give credit to, that's the least I can do.

One of the sources I read recommended putting together the first 5 shows to hit a stride, get an idea for content, length, pacing, not to mention an idea of the time required to put together one show. Saying that, expect myself to go a little dark in terms of announcements for a while, I'll get the first few shows knocked up and then I'll announce to the internets. When it does come, please check out, listener interaction in the form of emails etc would be pretty cool, and I am open to a potential co-host, guest spots if they match up with the theme of the show.

0 comments: