Friday, May 02, 2008

Random Playlist #2
A Thank you to my friends

Music is incredibly powerful. That may sound a very snobbish opinion, but it really is true. Music can make us feel any number of emotions.
Hearing the right song can turn round your day; put a bounce into your step. On the other hand the right lyric or progression can make us feel emotional, on the brink of tears sometimes. There are other cases, music can get us pumped up, riled - harnessing the power of people to unite in protest. There's music that makes us want to dance, makes us moreamorous, makes us want to sing our hearts out. It does it all.

Myself, I find music incredibly important, and thus I take every opportunity to surround myself in it. The outside world without my trusty mp3 player in my pocket is a scary and frankly horrible sounding place.

This is just a short mention to some of those people who have truly changed my life. I want to thank Rob and Koel for introducing me to the sounds of Matthew Good Band and Matthew Good, the former being the band Matt Good was in before that fell apart and he went solo.
Another shout out goes to my good friend Andy over in America. Now Andy really did try his best to force a fair number of artists on to me. I admit I was resistant at first but something stuck down there in what I call a brain. A handful of artists made it through the cracks, and I am now much more open to new music than I was before. As a result I now listen to bands like Interpol and TheDecemberists; I still am impressed by the apparent freshness of Hey Mercedes' sound when they come up on the random playlist.
And last but certainly not least, I have to give an extra special mention to my good buddy Adam. Now listing all the bands which he has introduced here could take quite some time, and also not look that pretty. It was Adam that introduced me to alternative music, that being the alternative to music seen in the charts. I went to my first gigs with Adam, those really were the days, swigging cider before the gig as we were too young to buy drinks inside. Put simply, Adam is responsible for, if not the majority of my music tastes, then at least a considerable chunk. The motivation of the post is how lucky/privileged I feel having had listened to some of my fave albums and artists, and that simply would not have happened with out these people opening my eyes, to put an artsy slant on it.

The few above have had the most effect of my musical tastes and I am truly thankful to them for helping in making me the person I am today. There are of course others which have had an influence on this journey that we like to call life, but I felt that these people deserved a very special mention.

Thank you.

2 comments:

Wilson The Writer said...

I didn't know that Matthew Good Band was now simply Matthew Good!

I listened to Interpol the other day, I thought they were relatively average and did little to excite me.

What has excited me, however, is the new Opeth album - but seeing as you're not a fan of the growly vocals I'm not sure if you would appreciate it. I would say there are less growlings in the new album "Watershed." Perhaps you like "Damnation" that's their acoustic album, and apparently you've seen it live in its entirety at Shepherd's Bush...I think you said you went to the gig...I can't quite remember, I always get muddled as to if you were going or invited and didn't go!

Unknown said...

I did indeed go to that Opeth gig, I probably wouldn't go now if presented with the opportunity, but back in my youth it was a good experience.

With Interpol, the first album of theirs that I heard was Turn On the Bright Lights and well that has always been the Interpol I fall back on. A lot of the time, the first album of an artist I listen to will become my favourite, there's something about positive new experiences there I believe.